Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Whats in an American?



I have learned something being in the U.S. I am no longer an American. When I started this blog I had the wee hope in the back of my mind that it would keep me connected to the life, in the Grand Ole' home of Abe Lincoln, while sharing the life I hadn't yet found myself apart of (simplified:I wanted to talk about Kenya while hoping American's would respond!) Now I realize I am truly not American. Why do I say this...simple. I don't have a preference between coke and pepsi. When someone says "I want a Whopper" i have to think "Is that McDonalds, Wendy's, Burger King, Carls Jr." Going into a restaurant is not a nice relaxing time to get to know those I am with but rather a stressful time studying a menu in a language I feel far from, sweating bullets knowing my life savings is going for a lump of potatoes, and then you have the kind guys who ridicule you for not leaving enough tip! I have told some people and I feel this truly. When I have come to conference these many years now, I "played house" or "played American" now that my 3 week vacation of being happy go lucky is over - I am left having to fend for myself and my American weaknesses have been spread out on a walmart shelf showing everyone "She is a weird American!" As hard, frustrating, and often stressful it is knowing everything, gets old! For me, going through the McDonalds drive through, I don't know what I want before I get there. I HAVE to read the menu or I will be ordering a Jr.Bacon Cheeseburger, Curly Frieds, and small Blizzard. But it has made life every bit more exciting! This is a rather short post...hope there are more on the way. But all in all - I love the struggles of living in America - it is an everyday struggle trying to remember zip codes and phone numbers (and directions!) But truly What's in an American - a little bit of every other country right?

2 comments:

Jo said...

LAIN!! I haven't talked to you in forever, I just randomly thought of how I haven't checked your blog in forever and was SO HAPPY to see a new post :) so...do you know what's sad when you said "I HAVE to read the menu or I will be ordering a jr bacon cheesburger, curly fries and a small blizzard" I had to read it like 3 times before I realized, Oh they're from different restaurants! Just letting you know that people who have experienced the kind of stuff we have may never become today's "american". Anyway, I love you tons, and am so glad that i happened to check your blog :)

Anonymous said...

loved your comments. i will say i do not always know what is sold where and i feel same about the menus. overwhelming!!!!!!!!!!!! i am always last to order. you are brave and brilliant!!!!!!!we are glad you are here. adjusting to america.