Saturday, February 11, 2006

1/2 the fun: getting there, The other 1/2:being there!











This week has been so EXCITING!!! Well, I know that everyone was wondering where in the “middle of no where” I went!! We made a 9 hour trip down to the coasts of Kenya…in Watamu to be exact. This week we had a nice road trip down to the ocean. It was an adventure. When we left Nairobi we weren’t sure how the roads were going to be down there…or if there were even going to be roads… so we headed out with our pb and j’s for lunch and and a few bottles of water. We were pleasantly surprised to find that the road was so nice! It was just like roads in the States and the scenery was just like that of driving through Arizona. Except for the fact that there were baboons at one point and a whole herd of camels! I mean there were like 50 of them! Until about one hour before Mombasa (another big city about 2 hours from watamu) then the road was Terrible! There is no laying your head against the window unless you are aiming for a really bad headache. After a long first leg of our journey we made it to Watamu! The first day we were there we played on the beach ALL day. Making sand castles, and trenches for the water to go into ,and swimming in the ocean. Unfortunately, we didn’t all remember to put on globs of sunscreen every couple hours. After being on the beach for one day we all broke out in terrible sun burns! I mean they were dreadful! I was the color of that really ripe strawberry that tastes so wonderful! My dad, my mom, and Evan, we were ALL sunburned. We went to a chemist and got some crème to put on the burns that “draws” out the heat. It worked some but didn’t miraculously take away every bit of pain we had. So for the next few days we did have lots of fun sitting in the shade and Evan having the least of burns swimming in the swimming pool. He also went with some other kids to go and find sand crabs. He caught 3! Eddy, Billy, and Joe! Just kidding he did catch them but he didn’t get to bring them back. Evan and my dad also made this awesome Alligator in the sand. It really was cool! The food at the place was like that of camp…not very good. Something else about the place that we went is that they had a “dress code” for dinner. You had to wear NICE clothes. Like Sunday Morning church clothes. Now who in the world goes to a beach with nice fancy clothes? It was ridicules so we ended up not being able to eat at certain restaurants cause we didn’t have the proper attire. That was a little crazy. All in all we had a lot of fun just relaxing and reading lots of books! Now I have learned my lesson to think about always putting on sun screen, and to take nice clothes when going to a resort on the beach. Now I am looking for a song to teach our kids choir. This is our first practice today and I have absolutely no songs so I am not sure what I am gonna do! I will have to be creative and hopefully get something by next week! I gotta go! Buh-bye!

Pictures: Freddy the frog, we found a frog that made a loud noise!! The camel on the beach, You could take rides on the camel, we were going to until the sunburns. It was a sight to see! Then there is the family picture…don’t we look cute and atleast a little tan! The pic of Evan in the sand is when they were making the alligator. The picture really doesn’t give it justice! It was awesome! Then the tree! That tree was bigger than any tree I have ever seen! It was HUGE!!!! So I had to put a picture of it on here. even almost touched it when he realized it was covered with a blanket of ants! Blogger didn't let me put all the pictures i wanted to on there, so i will have to add some later! Until then, Ciao!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Alainna that looks really fun. love the pictures. Especially The one with you and your little tan family.

Anonymous said...

hey lain! i knew you would get tan in africa!!! LUCKY! :) it sounds like u guys had lots of fun! talk to ya later! jess mo